Lost In Limoges

From the sheep-dotted pastures of France's underpopulated Southwest, Limoges rises in all its grey glory. The city's claim to fame: fine porcelain. The half-timbered houses of the Medieval center are surrounded by strip malls and McDo. Land-hungry Brits descend with flailing pocketbooks (thanks, RyanAir). The weather is remarkably cool year-round. Sure, I live on rue de Nice, but this is NOT the Cote d'Azur. Welcome to Limoges, "the middle of nowhere"-- or as Pierre says "everywhere"-- France.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Here's Looking At You, Kid



See Casablanca again. VHS it, rent it, DVD it, download it. Just see it. I was down in the dumps last week-- agonizing writer's block and all that-- and decided to close the laptop, walk down the street to Izmir Kebab, splurge on greasy take-out, and watch Casablanca. There's nothing that can break the moody blues like Casablanca. I couldn't wipe the nerdy grin off my face the entire film. I felt pangs of patriotism when the folks at Rick's galliantly sang La Marseillaise (I'll save talking about the myth of The Resistance for another day) and even bigger pangs for the wonder (and propaganda) of old Hollywood. Viva, Les Etats-Unis!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi !
    I just discovered your blog (great pictures!) and wish you a lot of happiness in Limousin ! I live not very far from you, in Brive la Gaillarde (90km South on the A20 motorway).
    I am glad you seem to like Limoges up to now, but beware of the long boring winter... and come to my house for dinner ! ;-)

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger MWN said…

    Thank you so much for your kind comment and hospitality! I am familiar with Brive-- enjoyed a delicious lunch there and visited some of the neighboring hamlets. You live in a gorgeous part of the world. Though now I'm worried about the boring winter! I'm a warm weather kinda gal and may have to plan a sunny holiday during the cold, bleak February...

     
  • At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmmmm February is sort of OK : the snow is not that far (kind slopes of the Massif Central with skiing resorts such as Super Besse, le Mont Dore or le Lioran or further in the Pyrenaneans with a lot of great places). Personnaly, it is November I really dislike. So you will know soon ;-)Take care and good luck with your French ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home