Lost In Limoges

From the sheep-dotted pastures of France's underpopulated Southwest, Limoges rises in all its grey glory. The city's claim to fame: fine porcelain. The half-timbered houses of the Medieval center are surrounded by strip malls and McDo. Land-hungry Brits descend with flailing pocketbooks (thanks, RyanAir). The weather is remarkably cool year-round. Sure, I live on rue de Nice, but this is NOT the Cote d'Azur. Welcome to Limoges, "the middle of nowhere"-- or as Pierre says "everywhere"-- France.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Living in Limoges



Recently, I was told by a lovely group of (Parisian) friends that I was lucky to move to Limoges before I knew the reputation of the city, because-- brace yourself for this one, dear reader-- Limoges is the asshole of France. I was aghast, and leapt to the defense of my hard-working adopted town. I'm glad I arrived here with a totally blank slate-- to assess the Medieval city center (its outskirts fringed by grey porcelain factories, parking lots, and high rises of subsidized housing) on my own.

So what if the movie theater has a lousy selection of films, and the Galeria Lafayette resembles a picked-over Marshall's (as opposed to its counterpart in Paris)? Here's my argument as to why Limoges is a grand place to live:
1. Limoges is dirt cheap. A delicious multi-course dinner is mere centimes compared to the capital's mediocre cuisine (even Leclerc and Champion are cheaper here)
2. Limoges is just minutes from some of the most charming Medieval villages in France, and the rural countryside (as I've bubbled about before) isn't too shabby.
3. Limoges is conveniently located just three hours south of Paris by train, and just a few hours from Spain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home