Lost In Limoges

From the sheep-dotted pastures of France's underpopulated Southwest, Limoges rises in all its grey glory. The city's claim to fame: fine porcelain. The half-timbered houses of the Medieval center are surrounded by strip malls and McDo. Land-hungry Brits descend with flailing pocketbooks (thanks, RyanAir). The weather is remarkably cool year-round. Sure, I live on rue de Nice, but this is NOT the Cote d'Azur. Welcome to Limoges, "the middle of nowhere"-- or as Pierre says "everywhere"-- France.

Friday, April 20, 2007

Cafeteria Food and Other Reasons to Learn French in France


Cafeterias everywhere get a bad rap. It's always easy to crack jokes about institutionalized food, even in the world's gastronomic capital. (Pictured: Gabriel, my Brazilian friend, pokes fun of his half-empty tray-- displaying the only edible menu options: water and bread.) But for EUR 2,75, who's complaining? At the dining hall at the University of Limoges, lunch is quite a civilized affair. One must choose a salad, main course, fromage, and dessert, accompanied by a bread roll, of course. If you happen to turn your nose up at the day's plat (sting ray, anyone?), there's always the pizza and fries option. The cafeteria is civilized even when it's packed with hungry students jostling for a place in line; murmurs of "Pardon" or "Oh no, after you," thread the conversation.

Learning French in France has many advantages, cultural and linguistic immersion being the most obvious. But right up there on the list is price. Like the ridiculously inexpensive lunch, a full year of language classes at the University of Limoges is about EUR 500. For 16 hours a week, two full semesters.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my gosh. I just read the price of the university classes. I am stunned! I don't even want to begin to tell you what my masters is costing me. It makes me sad to see how little America really values education. It is incredibly expensive to get a college education in the U. S. . . . and as a former elementary school teacher I can tell you that the pay for educators is really not that great. The pay for adjunct work at the university level is absolutely deplorable.

    Wow. I just can't believe the price. I have actually thought about coming to France for my PhD work, but I figured that if I came and applied directly to the university that it would be difficult to gain admittance because I would be competing against all the native speakers who have no problems with the language and who understand the culture well. But the cost of going through an American university program is really prohibitive.

    *sigh* I guess there are some things that a mom with three children just can't do. But I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. And going to the same university with my daughters has really been fun. You probably have not seen the TV show the "Gilmore Girls", but our relationship is very much like that. My daughters and I are really best friends.

    Take care.

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger MWN said…

    I know, it's such an incredible value to learn French here. (The program-- French for foreigners-- is the equivalent of ESL.) I am enrolled in the university, but only take courses in French. There are two other American students (from the University of North Carolina in Charlotte) and they paid admission to their own university in the U.S. because it's an exchange program, and yet they only take French classes, like I do.

    I am not sure about masters or PhD work-- the cost or the admissions process. But I highly recommend the language classes here in Limoges.

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds amazing. I'll do some investigative work.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home