Lost In Limoges

From the sheep-dotted pastures of France's underpopulated Southwest, Limoges rises in all its grey glory. The city's claim to fame: fine porcelain. The half-timbered houses of the Medieval center are surrounded by strip malls and McDo. Land-hungry Brits descend with flailing pocketbooks (thanks, RyanAir). The weather is remarkably cool year-round. Sure, I live on rue de Nice, but this is NOT the Cote d'Azur. Welcome to Limoges, "the middle of nowhere"-- or as Pierre says "everywhere"-- France.

Friday, May 19, 2006

No More Bread



After stuffing my face with buttery crossaints and pain au chocolat for two months, I'm bidding adieu to bread (I doubt the French have heard of dear old Atkins). Though I did steal a bite of a warm baguette at dinner. The French staple is as ubiquitious as the advertisements for cellulite removal in pharmacies across France (scandalous window sized posters of bum and skinny thighs sans cellulite.) Boulangeries may be everywhere, but I'm hard-pressed finding normal staples, like chicken stock, regular cuts of meat (pork tenderloin, anyone?), or even skim (!) milk. I am not about to eat my muesli saturated with thick cream in the morning, so get this-- I've started cutting it with water. Pierre gags, but it works like a charm.

PS Just kidding. I didn't last a day here in the land of bread. Consumed crossaints aplenty this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home